Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Still Life Series Medicine Cabinet Shelf

I've been playing with an economy of action in painting. Less flourish, less color, less depth. Not necessarily in a Ludwig Mies van der Rohe sort of "less is more" but a way to find richness in other design elements like texture and composition. I limited the palette to a cobalt blue, yellow ochre and red oxide. All the objects were essentially white. It's surprising to see how much color exists in white scene. I treated the bottles like actors to be blocked on stage. Some are in shadow some are in full light and some catch just a sliver of light. But maybe I'm just anthropomorphizing the bottles. I wonder if artist William Bailey thought of them that way or Giorgio Morandi even. You can see more of my paintings here.

2 comments:

  1. mortuary staff/matrimony receptionists

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you. At least I think I do. That OIL AND WATER IN MASON JARS looks very much like the work of someone I went to high school with. I like the limited palette of your piece up above. It's great to know that you are still painting after all of these years. I've been unable to escape the love of painting myself. I invite you to visit my blog when you have some time. I began it back in 2007 so you'll have to go through the archives so see older work. Whatever happened to that large piece you did featuring the back of the school bus? Hope all is well.. paint on my friend- Alice

    ReplyDelete

Followers